Polk Signa S2 Subwoofer Not Working: How to Get Your Bass Back in Action
Picture this: You’ve just set up your brand new Polk Signa S2 soundbar and subwoofer system to transform your living room into a home theater. You sit back, hit play on your favorite movie or song, and…nothing. There’s no bass. The subwoofer isn’t working. Frustration begins to set in. Fear not, this comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of diagnosing and fixing the issue. Let’s bring the bass back to your entertainment experience!
We are reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
A Quick Look at the Polk Signa S2 Subwoofer
Before we dive into troubleshooting, it’s essential to understand the basics of your Polk Signa S2 subwoofer. This wireless subwoofer pairs with the Signa S2 soundbar to deliver deep, room-filling bass. It’s designed to connect automatically to the soundbar, making setup hassle-free.
However, sometimes things don’t go according to plan. Let’s explore the common issues that may lead to a non-functioning subwoofer and how to fix them.
First Things First: Check the Basics
It might sound obvious, but sometimes the simplest solution is the most effective. Before diving into more complex troubleshooting, ensure that:
- Power is connected: Make sure the subwoofer is plugged into a working power outlet.
- Volume is up: Check that the soundbar and your TV or other source device have their volume turned up.
- Mute is off: Ensure that neither the soundbar nor your source device is muted.
If the issue persists after these basic checks, it’s time to move on to more specific troubleshooting steps.
Ensure the Subwoofer and Soundbar Are Paired
As mentioned earlier, the Polk Signa S2 subwoofer is designed to automatically connect to the soundbar. However, sometimes this connection fails, and you need to pair them manually. To do this, follow these steps:
- Power off the soundbar and subwoofer.
- Power on the soundbar and wait for the LED light to stop blinking.
- Press and hold the
PAIRbutton on the back of the subwoofer for 3 seconds until the LED light starts blinking.
- The subwoofer and soundbar should now automatically pair. Once paired, the LED light on the subwoofer will stop blinking.
If this method doesn’t work, you can try a factory reset:
- Power off the soundbar and subwoofer.
- Press and hold the
VOL+buttons on the soundbar for 5 seconds.
- Power on the soundbar and subwoofer.
- Repeat the pairing process as described above.
Verify the Source and Audio Settings
It’s possible that your source device (e.g., TV, Blu-ray player, or gaming console) has incorrect audio settings, preventing the subwoofer from functioning. To resolve this, check the following:
- Audio output: Make sure your source device is set to output audio through the soundbar. This setting is often found in the device’s audio or sound settings menu.
- Audio format: Ensure that the source device is set to output a compatible audio format, such as PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS. The Polk Signa S2 does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X formats.
Test with Different Devices and Cables
If your subwoofer still isn’t working, try connecting the soundbar to a different device (e.g., another TV, a laptop, or a smartphone) and use a different cable (e.g., a different HDMI or optical cable). This will help determine if the issue is with the source device, the cable, or the soundbar and subwoofer system.
- Different device: Connect the soundbar to another device to see if the subwoofer functions correctly. If it works, the issue might be with your original source device’s settings or compatibility.
- Different cable: Try using a different cable to connect the soundbar to your source device. A faulty cable could cause the subwoofer not to work.
Contact Polk Audio Support
If you’ve tried all of the above steps and your Polk Signa S2 subwoofer still isn’t working, it’s time to reach out to Polk Audio support. Their experts can provide additional troubleshooting tips and, if necessary, assist with warranty claims or repairs. You can contact Polk Audio support via their website, phone, or social media channels.
Now that we’ve covered the troubleshooting steps, let’s address some frequently asked questions about the Polk Signa S2 subwoofer.
Check Out Best Selling Polk Soundbars
Last update on 2023-05-17
How do I increase the bass level on my Polk Signa S2 subwoofer?
Press the button on the soundbar’s remote control to adjust the bass level on your Polk Signa S2 system. The soundbar’s LED indicators will display the current bass level. Press the
VOL- buttons to increase or decrease the bass level, respectively.
Can I use the Polk Signa S2 subwoofer with other soundbars or speakers?
The Polk Signa S2 subwoofer is specifically designed to work with the Polk Signa S2 soundbar. It uses a unique wireless connection protocol that may not be compatible with other soundbars or speakers. To ensure optimal performance and compatibility, it’s best to use the subwoofer with its intended soundbar.
Can I add a second subwoofer to my Polk Signa S2 system for more bass?
The Polk Signa S2 system is designed to work with only one subwoofer. Adding a second subwoofer is not supported and may lead to connection issues or suboptimal performance. If you’re looking for more bass, consider adjusting the bass level as described in the first FAQ or upgrading to a more powerful soundbar and subwoofer system.
My Polk Signa S2 subwoofer works, but the sound is distorted or unclear. What can I do?
If your subwoofer is working but producing distorted or unclear sound, try the following:
- Check the audio settings on your source device, ensuring that it’s outputting a compatible audio format (e.g., PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS).
- Move the subwoofer closer to the soundbar to ensure a strong wireless connection.
- Reduce the bass level on the soundbar if it’s set too high, as this can cause distortion.
- Ensure that the subwoofer is placed on a stable, flat surface and that there are no objects blocking the subwoofer’s driver.
Georgiana Lauren is passionate about soundbars and is obsessed with all things related to audio equipment. With years of experience in the industry, she has developed an expert understanding of soundbars and other related technologies. Georgiana enjoys sharing her knowledge with others and helping them find the perfect sound solutions for their needs.